Monday, May 4, 2015

Wellness

Note: I drafted, but never posted, this weeks ago. Just saw it in my drafts and decided to post it, though the conditions it describes are long past.


. . . It can't be overemphasized. My two-and-a-half-weeks of feeling poorly reminded me of how fortunate I am, and also of how devoutly I admire those who live with a chronic weakening condition and manage to carry on, and also of how much I hope that I will never be one of those people.



Having finally given in and gotten antibiotics from our g.p., I am feeling myself again. To wit, yesterday I got my car inspected and washed, got cash from the ATM, picked up my Clinique bonus gift, arranged to have one of my photos framed, fixed three meals for us and cleaned up afterward, swept the floor, talked on the phone with Tina, went for a mile-long stroll with Tom -- no, not that heavy a load. But a week ago that amount of effort would have plumb worn me out and sent me into a coughing fit and, probably, a sleep-interrupted night.  I no longer have to husband my strength, and, as a result, I am happy again.

Now Tom is a different matter, He lives with any limitations and discomforts with grace and fortitude, barely ever mentioning them. May I never cease to appreciate his attitude. Perhaps I can even learn to adopt it?

I am at the airport, waiting to board the plane that will transport me to California, and Elizabeth and Nathan, for a quick trip. It's been a while since I flew, and I am no longer a road warrior. But so far it's been easy, with short lines and no glitches, and I look forward to the trip. I'm eager to see how the   Airbnb lodging that I've booked will work out -- this will be my first experience with the concept.


No comments:

Post a Comment