Tuesday, May 19, 2015

Have We Been Missed?

I am posting this on both my land and boating blog, the last post on land and the first on cruising for a while, probably four months. So welcome back to "cruising on second fantasy"! It is certainly good to be back.

We were happy, as we drove up to Tiffany Yachts, to see that our boat was back in the water; the last time Tom had spoken to owner Randy, they were still working on the stabilizer and she was on the hard. But by Friday at 11:00 a.m., when we arrived, she was happily afloat. Dirtily, too, I might add, but what can you expect when workers have been in, out, and around her for months? And what workers they are -- the entire crew is hardworking, competent, cheerful, and accommodating. It's a family affair; so far we have met three of Randy's family members on the staff, and I discovered today that "Tiffany" was the original owner, Randy's dad's, name. Sounds like there's a story there, but I haven't heard it yet. We should be here a bit longer, so I'm sure I will. I already feel like these folks are family -- I hope I don't end up having to work here like the rest of the family, rather than cruising off as we'd planned!


 Taken from the bow on a beautiful evening.


We took our time, and a different route, getting here. Stopped in Sherwood, Arkansas, just north of Little Rock, to see Doris R., with whom I worked at Laying the Foundation and whom I haven't seen since before we began cruising. She seems to be happy and relaxed in her retirement, which is just as it should be.

We also stopped for the night in Winchester, Kentucky, to see the Elliott cousins, the three children of my dad's oldest sister. I wanted particularly to pay my respects to Harold, just recently widowed when Betty Jo, to whom he'd been married for nearly sixty years, died recently. It was wonderful visiting with them, salt-of-the-earth people and reminders of many of my happy childhood memories. I can see why my mom fell in love with the whole clan when she entered my father's life.

We are busy getting settled and organized (and cleaned up) and doing the electrical and other tasks we need to do. Tom's dexterity is not what it used to be, and he now calls on me and hires shipyard workers more, but he carries on. And we are both happy to be aboard, sleeping the gentle sleep that the boat induces and living the simple life that it enforces.

With great delight, we did take a break from the shipyard to go to KC's Crabs and Cues down the road to see friends from Chesapeake Boat Basin and to watch the Rockets cream the Clippers and thus move on the semifinals of the NBA Playoffs! I've just been reading online predictions that the Warriors would beat the Rockets in five, but what do they know of Clutch City? Let's take 'em on.



 Playing with different effects. No, the sky is not golden here, but we are in a little jewel of a spot.


Very cool bird, one of many interesting species around the shipyard. And there are two osprey nests in viewing distance. Nice.

No comments:

Post a Comment