Tuesday, March 8, 2016

March Post

Okay, surely I can handle a monthly post, right?

Some photos that I've recently taken prompt me to get back to this undertaking, which gives me some insight into my loss of interest in blogging: Apparently it's a desire to display my photos rather than a desire to write that prompts me to continue my blog. And since I've only just gotten back into picture-taking, I've only just gotten back into blogging.

Tom and I occasionally watch  an episode of a set of Great Courses photo-taking DVD's that he got me for Christmas, and that has re-inspired me to play with my camera. I needed a refresher on the basics, such as the relationship between aperture and ISO and shutter speed, and I'm getting it. It's too easy to take good photos with a digital camera, and I've gotten lazy with it. I've always had a good eye, and an observant awareness of light, and of composition, important qualities when one wants to take a good picture, but I can do better than that. Time to step up again!

Two recent occasions prompted me to do that.

Last week we ventured into Houston and the Museum of Fine Arts to see the exhibit "Sculpted in Steel," a departure for the museum in its display of cars and motorcycles. But appropriate it was, as these beauties were works of art, fully as stylish as they were functional. Tom loved it.

These photos were taken with my IPhone.




and he appreciated in ways that I couldn't.



The same evening we attended a Loreena McKennitt concert at the University of Houston Cullen Hall and then spent the night at the Hilton there on campus. It was a good afternoon and night, and an early celebration of Tom's birthday. 


Then on Saturday we visited, along with friends, Railean's Distillery in lovely San Leon, a place we didn't even know existed. Luckily, we have friends who are more with-it than are we, and who include us despite our lack of hipness.

 Kelly Jean Raelean, owner, proprietor, distiller, tour guide, and distributor of samples. Those samples led us to buy two bottles (the limit), one of vodka and one of coconut rum.

 I really like this shot -- note the female bartender, still and central in the midst of the excitement.

And, of course, we ended up at Gilhooley's,

where we were served by Boom-Boom, aka Chester, our great waitress:


1 comment:

  1. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete