Saturday, January 25, 2014

Daytona Rolex 24

When Tom asked, many months ago, if I were interested in attending the Rolex 24 race at Daytona Speedway, my response was, basically, "No."  I may have prefaced this simple statement with a "Hell" for emphasis, especially when I learned that it would be on my birthday weekend.  But in almost no time I reconsidered - why (the hell) not?  Another interesting experience for me, something I would surely never consider on my own, another photo opportunity, and a delight for Tom.  A Songwriters' Festival was much more my type of event than Tom's, but he enjoyed the experience, and the reverse would surely work in this case, too.

It did.

http://www.daytonainternationalspeedway.com/Tickets-Events/Events/2014/Rolex-24-At-Daytona/Rolex-24-At-Daytona.aspx

We had garage passes, which proved to be fascinating and great fun, though the presence of gawkers (many wanna-be's and has-been's) like us was probably not all that fun for the crews.


 This cutie appeared to be the only female mechanic on any of the crews.
And I was not the only cameraperson interested in the backstage workings.  Check out her (photographic) equipment - long lenses and expensive cameras abounded through the crowds.



Auto racing is a colorful sport.
We surmise, from the number seeking his autograph, that this guy is famous.  Tom prides himself on not caring about individual personalities in these pursuits - he decries the "up-close-and-personal" parts.  Not me, but, this not being my particular interest, I have no idea who this driver is.

It was exhilarating to watch (and hear) the colorful cars go by, heading to the track for a practice run.

Lust and the need for speed are international male characteristics. 

1 comment:

  1. I've never thought about racecar driving that way. I always thought it was silly too, but you're right. If they've found what they love to do then go for it. We've been in a similar situation. It's always awesome to see females where they're not normally. Girl power!

    ReplyDelete